One day I was surfing the internet for new recipes and I just happened to run across this recipe for a Copy Cat Panera Bread Broccoli Cheddar Cheese soup and I was like- THERE'S NO WAY IM PASSING THIS UP!!!!! So last Wednesday I made it. Let me say YUM!!!!!!
This soup is so creamy and yummy and delicious and delectable and scrumptious and just down right good.
(This recipe serves about 5-6)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup flour (sift the flower before so that there are no clumps)
- 2 cups half-and-half ( or skim milk)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 pound fresh broccoli ( florets only)
- 1 cup carrots, julienne
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- Saute onions in a little butter in a small pan – set aside. You are going to want to chop your onions into a medium-small dice.
- In a large stockpot melt butter. Add flour and mix for 3 minutes. Make sure to add your flower a little at a time stirring in- you want this to be a smooth as possible (remember this is the base for your soup you dont want a clumpy floury soup base)
- Slowly add half- half – mixing the entire time. To make this soup stretch a little more I added 1/2 of water after the half and half. (At this point I also added a little dried basil to my mix just for extra flavor and because I like basil :)
- Slowly add chicken stock- mixing the entire time. I personally didnt use like a chicken stock, I used that chicken broth powder mix stuff you get in the little glass jars. I mixed up 3 cups of warm water with 3 teaspoons of chicken broth powder then added that. (in case you havent noticed, I really do like to not follow instructions) You want to make sure that you stir this in completely and that your stock/broth is not separating from the flour and milk mixture
- Let simmer on low for 20 minutes. This is when the yumminess starts to happen and your soup base will start getting really good
- Add broccoli, carrots; onions and cook on low for 25 minutes. I added extra broccoli because I love broccoli and wanted to really make this soup stretch. I also used about the top half of the stems of the broccoli but chopped them up small. I am def. not a waster when it comes to food and I like to use as much of the vegetable that I can.
- Season with salt, pepper; nutmeg. (the nutmeg is so so yummy :)
- Place soup in a blender or use an immersion blender and puree. (I didn't do this step because I like more chunky veggies in my soup generally, but I did dice my veggies pretty small so I wouldn't really have needed to blend it anyways)
- Heat soup over low heat and add cheese and mix till melted.
- Serve ( hopefully in a bread bowl) and Enjoy