Q: Can you really work out anywhere???
I found this cute little video that made me laugh just a little, but honestly she does have some good tips!
Her whole little thing about the plates just kinda cracks me up but I really do see how you could get some good results with these simple exercises. (TIP: I personally suggest not using your favorite plates.... just in case you drop them. Maybe go to a local dollar store and pic up some cute cheap plates that you dont mind dinging and chipping up.) I personally can attest to the fact that when weight lifting the weight does not need to be heavy, it's the repetition. Squeezing and tightening your muscles when lifting and then releasing when coming down can actually help tone your arms more than you would think and believe me you will feel it the next day!!!! (5 minutes with a 2 pound weight really can do wonders for your arms- and you feel it!!!!) You can also you canned foods or apples, bunches of bananas or watermelons for kitchen weight lifting.
When working your but dont feel like you have to lean over as much as she does, start out by standing up straight and using the counter for a balance. kick your legs out behind you and this will work your gluets. As you gain better balance you can start to lean over like she does.
Here is a link to another fun kitchen exercise video. This one makes me laugh just as much as the first, but the benefits are amazing!!!http://www.womansday.com/health-fitness/workout-routines/work-out-anywhere-kitchen-exercises-108657
Other easy and fun ways to exercise in the kitchen is:
1) LEG AND BUTT LIFTS: While standing at the sink washing dishes or scrubbing veggies, or even when filling up a pitcher of water lift your right leg behind you and pulse it up and down. Switch legs and repeat.
2) DANCE: when you go into the kitchen to clean or cook, turn on some of your favorite tunes, wear some socks so you can slide and spin easily on the floor and just have fun!!!! Sing into the broom, play percussion on your pots and pans, do ballet turns when going from the dishwasher to the silverware drawer, shake your hips and salsa when looking for an ingredient in the fridge. Dont worry if anyone is looking, because truth be know- if they are watching you they are watching because they are jealous not because they think you look funny :)
3) COUNTER PUSH-UPS: Do these while waiting for the toast to pop up or for the microwave to finish! First, place your hands on the counter a little wider than shoulder-width and step a few feet away with your legs. Bend your elbows, bringing your chest toward the countertop, then push back up to the start position.
4) SADDLEBAG SLIMMERS AND INNER THIGH TONER: For the saddlebag slimmers, stand with your left side to the counter and place your left hand on it. Lift your right leg out to the side about a foot off the ground and pulse. For the inner thigh toner, stand with your left side to the counter and place your hand on it. Lift your right leg off the floor and bring it across the front of your body toward the left side. Pulse. Switch sides and repeat. You can also do these when waiting for the toaster or the cookies in the oven or even while waiting for the oven to preheat.
5) DISHWASHER SQUATS: Who would have thought that you could get some exercise done while loading and unloading the dishwasher? Dishwasher squats can be added by doing a squat for every item you load or unload from the dishwasher. when you reach for an item to unload, add a squat, slowly standing back up each time. It may take longer to load or unload the dishwasher but adding some basic squats can help tone!
6) SINK SQUATS: Stand about an arm-length away from the sink with your feet shoulder-width apart. Squat and hold for five seconds. Look at this lady, you can even do these in jeans and still look good!!! Do this while dinner is simmering on the stove or you are waiting for the yeast to rise.
7) LEG STRETCH: Place one leg straight on the counter top keeping your back as straight as you can, lean forward and reach for your toes. If you can not touch your toes reach out your hand and slowly walk your fingers down your leg till you can reached a good relaxing stretch.
Remember that kitchen exercises are something you can do while the cookies are in the oven (that way you dont feel guilty for that extra cookie or two :), while dinner is simmering in the oven or the pan with the hardened egg yolk on it is soaking in the sink. Have fun and enjoy the body you have!!!!!